Fire sparked by remodeling work scorches Acushnet home – News –

Workers fixing plumbing on a fixer-upper in Acushnet sparked an afternoon fire Monday. Quick work by firefighters kept the blaze contained to one portion of the wood-frame building.

At 3:33 p.m., The Acushnet Fire & EMS Department responded to a report of a fire in the wall at 23 Hope St., a press release from the fire department stated.

Firefighters found smoke coming from a burned-through hole on the exterior second-floor wall of a two-story wood frame building.

The home is undergoing significant renovations, the release states, and workers informed the first responders that while soldering cooper pipes a flame shot up into the wall cavity.

The fire was contained to a small portion of the exterior wall and extinguished.

A mutual aid engine company from Fairhaven was requested due to strong winds and the old-style construction of the structure, the release states.

“Given the age of the building, we were concerned that the fire would quickly travel to the attic,” said Firefighter Paul Frysinger. “The fire never made it into the home, it was kept in the wall cavity and extinguished from outside.”

The incident scene was cleared of all apparatus and personnel by 4:30 p.m.

There were no injuries.

Source Article